HMO Mortgages

Thomas Oliver mortgage brokers are HMO mortgage advice specialists.

Contact our qualified mortgage broking team for Houses in Multiple Occupation mortgage advice.

Thomas Oliver was our Mortgage Broker. He was very good. Very professional. Communication was excellent and he explained everything really well.

Mr D, Mortgage Customer, Goffs Oak, Hertfordshire

Our mortgage advisers are experienced in offering HMO mortgage advice and work with a variety of lenders specialising in HMO mortgage products. Using our services saves you time as we will review the HMO mortgage market on your behalf, to find the best HMO mortgage products and HMO mortgage rates to suit your individual requirements.

Call us now on 01707 872000 for a FREE initial personalised consultation to discuss your HMO mortgage requirements.

Why are Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs) popular with buy-to-let investors?

Buy-to-let investors can now only claim back expenses at the lower rate of tax, so the same rental yield is no longer as profitable. HMOs are viewed as an alternative property investment for buy-to-let investors.

What are Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO)?

According to the Government website an HMO is: ‘A house in multiple occupation (HMO) is a property rented out by at least 3 people who are not from 1 ‘household’ (for example a family) but share facilities like the bathroom and kitchen. It’s sometimes called a ‘house share’.’

In England and Wales students in a shared property would be classed as an HMO. Since October 2018 the classification of HMOs has changed. Previously a property was only considered an HMO if it was at least three storeys high. Now that criteria doesn’t apply.

Large HMOs

A property is considered a large HMO if it has the following:

  • If a property is rented out to five or more people
  • If some or all of the tenants share toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities
  • At least one tenant pays rent (or their employer pays it for them)

All large HMOs must have a licence issued by the local council. These must be renewed every five years. The council also has the right to inspect the property.

Do smaller HMOs need a licence?

The Government website recommends that you check with your local council if you need a licence whatever your size of HMO. All large HMOs need a licence but some smaller HMOs need one too depending on individual council criteria. You need a separate licence for each HMO you run. HMO licence fees and the amount of time it takes to issue a licence differs between councils.

As a mortgage is secured against your home, it could be repossessed if you do not keep up the mortgage repayments.

For expert HMO Mortgage advice contact our Mortgage Brokers

Complete our quick enquiry form or call our advisers on
01707 872 000

Tick this box if you want your details to be stored on our database, which may then be used for marketing purposes.

Please tick how you would like us to contact you:

If you are looking for an HMO mortgage in London or Hertfordshire you may benefit from using the services of an HMO mortgage broker as lenders consider HMOs as specialist properties, so getting a mortgage can be more complicated and expensive than a normal buy to let mortgage. Lenders want to know more information about the property. For example, the number of bedrooms, type of tenants, and how the property is valued. Call our mortgage broking team now to discuss how we can help you find a suitable HMO mortgage product.

John Pringle, Mortgage Broker in Tottenham & Edmonton, North London